Wow, I did not realize how long it’s been since I had written on here.

This last year was pretty rough for me having looked for a job for 6 months then finally getting one at Bosley Tires. Wanting to be in Haiti when I knew I couldn’t. Well, I was finally able to make it back there June 20-27. I went on a week-long trip with a team with Haiti Lifeline Ministries. I raised a lot of the money to go by selling baked goods at work. There were about 25 of us, I think! Many of the team members, I did not know before the trip and I believe only 7 of us had been to Haiti before. I wanted to go on this particular team in part because my good friend, Ruth Powell, was going to Haiti for the first time.

It started out a little rough for me – on my way to Topeka on the 19th, my car started acting up about halfway there. Long story short, my parents were gracious enough to bring my dad’s car up on his trailer to trade me vehicles so I could still make it. The 2 hour trip took me 6, but I made it anyway. I found out when I came home that my transmission went out and will cost from $1200 – $1800 to get it fixed. Not a fun way to start out a trip to say the least.

God is still faithful! After a year and a half, I was able to be reunited with so many beautiful children that I love and have missed so much!! Quite a few have been adopted out since I was last there. Praise the Lord for these that are now with their forever families!! There are currently 86 children at Lifeline and there were probably close to 20 that I didn’t know.

It was wonderful of course to be able to see, touch, talk with, hug and kiss many children I have missed so much! They were all happy that there was another team of people to love on them, and some especially excited to see me again. The Mamas also had been asking Emily when I was going to come back, so it was wonderful to see these faithful women that take care of and love on the kids.

Our main focus was doing a VBS for the kids and a food distribution. We Did a Bible story for the kids and asked them questions. Then had a game and a craft and usually a little treat, such as a dumdum sucker or “pi willy” (pee willy) as the kids call them.

I spent some special time up in Delva’s room with the little boys, (Gaba, Jameson, Wenky, Ortega, Ti Joel, and maybe a few I’m forgetting) just playing and tickling, which they love! I was sitting kind of in the path between the beds and the boys would run from me. I started coyly telling them they could pass through, then they would get caught and tickled! They would repeat me and giggle when I told them they could go through. It is a sweet memory that I won’t soon forget!!

On Sunday, Noah Vincent, one of the team members, gave a message at church. It was a very powerful message, glory to God! And bonus! four of my friends from the DTS I staffed in Port au Prince in ’11 were able to visit me at the church. Emily, Nicole, Jacque and Jhud. It was so cool that my time in Haiti overlapped with Emily and Nicole’s time there! On Sunday afternoon, we packaged the stuff for the food distribution we had planned for Monday.

A very diligent Chef Ruth got up at 5 am to make cinnamon rolls for us on Monday. They looked delicious, however it is unfortunate that the salt and sugar were put in the same type of container and salt was mistaken for sugar!! I believe someone ate 2 whole ones so as not to make her feel bad. I took one little bite after it was figured out and I believe I got my sodium intake for the week! Ruth was very upset about it, but was able to laugh about it later. We drove for about an hour and a half up into the mountains where I had never been. We even went through a river at one point, which was kind of exciting! If you’ve ever been to Haiti, you know things don’t always go as planned, and when we arrived at the church, it was to our surprise that there was a funeral going on as they thought we were coming later in the afternoon. There was a little debate about the best thing to do. The team leader, Tom, did not want us to have to wait 3 hours for the funeral to be over, but it would have been sorely disappointing to the people expecting food if we just left to take it somewhere else. So as respectful as we could be in the midst of a funeral, we unloaded the bags into a room in the church for the pastor to distribute later. I commented when we finished that it had been the fastest, quietest and calmest food distribution I’ve ever been a part of.

We had a beach day on Tuesday and were able to take 10 of the oldest kids (Aicha, Misterline, Shela, Nathalie, Shelly, Guerby, Master, Mackenson, Lucbert, and Camille) thanks to Bob Moeder. Bob is a very generous man that I met through my friend, John, who works at Carmax. I sold some cookies to John and he shared them with Bob and told him about what I was doing. I used part of the money he gave me to get to Haiti, part of it to take the kids to the beach, bought Tangled for the kids to watch (which they loved!) and the rest went toward their snacks. There were also 2 adoptive families with us that are adopting Mckinley and Erwing, and Kellens and Kervens, so we had them with us as well. It was a fun day! Made more so by the fact that my dear friend, Rose, who works at YWAM St. Marc, got to come meet me there. I hadn’t seen her since before I left in Feb. 2012, so it was great to catch up in person! Philipson, my “brother” also randomly stopped by for a few minutes, and it was great to see him as well!

We had a wonderful last day with the kids, just soaking in as much of them as possible. It’s always hard on the last day when you know you’re leaving tomorrow.

There were some really great team times in the evenings. Usually some of us ended up hanging out talking, laughing and playing Golf (the card game) or making friendship bracelets, or just looking at the moon until pretty late.

I haven’t got all my pictures up yet, but hopefully I’ll get that done after I post this novel!! 🙂 Check out my Facebook for photos. If you have any questions about my trip, I’d love to tell you more about it!!



About leahgduncan

I'm just a woman that wants to serve Jesus Christ with her whole life. I want to live with my hands wide open to Him, letting him fill my hands and take things away as He pleases. I currently live in Port au Prince, Haiti, working with an international missions organization called Youth With A Mission (YWAM). I love Haiti and know that I will be attached to Haiti for the rest of my life. At this time I don't know if that means I'll always live here, but I know I'll always come back here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s