Wow, I keep thinking I’m going to have time to update this, but then something comes up or something happens where I can’t.
In my last post, I said I was about to go spend the weekend at Lifeline with Emily and team #2. I had a fabulous time and was really blessed by the whole team. Mary Brandt really blessed me with her good food and she gave me quite a bit of butter and some Craisins to bring back to my house. (We don’t really buy butter here because it’s so expensive, just margarine…yuck!!) I was blessed by Matt Vincent’s devotion. I was blessed to be so welcomed by them. And of course I was blessed to get to spend time with my kids there. I was really hard to leave Monday morning. Esther got me crying and I was bawling by the time I had to say goodbye to Emily. That was a rough day.
Tuesday I went and worked in the office and had a good talk with Lucy. That night, we had a much needed house staff meeting and started working some things out. It is really good for us when we actually get to spend time together as staff and talk about issues and good things that have been happening.
Wednesday, us girls from both of our houses were supposed to go to Lucy’s for lunch for small group. But that didn’t happen. The baby truck finally got fixed, but apparently when they fix the engine in Haiti, they don’t put more oil in it. So we had to wait for oil. Traffic was horrible, so it took a long time to get to the Belville house. Justin was supposed to go over there to pick up some people to take them to the food distribution, but since I was going there, I just did it. Then I got talked into driving to the food distribution outside of Port au Prince they were doing. We didn’t get back until pretty late. And the food that was saved for Justin, Julia and I had ants all in it, by then we were just over eating anything. It was a long day!
Thursday morning, I went and met the team from Lifeline and picked up Emily so she could spend part of the day with us while the rest of their team went up in the mountains to the Baptist Mission. The Kona team took some of the buckets of peaches to distribute in a tent city close to us, and by ‘some of the peaches’ I mean two Hyundai truckloads. While they were doing that, I went to buy chicken for our dinner last night. I also went to pick up someone from the airport and took Emily with me. Nicole called and said they were ready to pick up Emily. But the flight was cancelled, so we headed over to where they were. Traffic was horrible once again and Nicole called again and said that Esther was sick and throwing up over the side of the truck, so I told them to just go to Lifeline. They took a shortcut by the American Embassy and when they turned onto the road to go to Croix des Bouquets, we were two cars behind them. This was a big blessing because then I had time to go cash my support check that I’ve had for about 2 weeks and have never had the time to go wait at the bank. In the evening, I was volunteered to drive to New Life. I didn’t really want to go because I was really tired. But it was exactly what I needed. I got to love on some great kids and be loved on. There’s this one little boy named Pablo.
He is adorable! He never used to come around me, but yesterday he came and played with me for a while. He’s is super ticklish and has a wonderful giggle! It really helped my heart.
Friday, we had a much needed entire staff meeting. It was good and good to see the staff that lives at the Belville house. We went to New Life again in the late afternoon. It was once again a blessing to see all the kids there.
The Kona team that has been staying with us moved to the BelVille house today. We have a team from a YWAM Peru base coming tomorrow and they are going to complete 2 houses that have been started in Cite Soleil across the street from the church we’ve been helping rebuild as well.
Lots of people that have come in have been worried about the political situation. I have not been keeping up with it too much because I’ve been so busy, but I know a few things from what people have told me. It has not gotten violent yet as far as I can tell. I guess the current president is rumored to be leaving the country on February 7, and I’ve heard it might get a little violent then. If we would ever have the need to be evacuated, we are registered with the American embassy and have been told that we would get out.
Please continue to pray for our staff that we’d all walk out in the opposite spirit of the spiritual stronghold of lack of communication and confusion I believe is over Haiti.